About Monastery Gift Shop
A Unique Shopping Experience
The atmosphere of the gift shop is relaxed, unhurried, serene — perfect for searching out unique gifts for the special people in your life.
How Our Gift Shop Came To Be
When the Sisters of St. Benedict of Ferdinand, Indiana, opened Monastery Gift Shop (formerly For Heaven's Sake gift shop) in October 1996, it was a longtime dream fulfilled. The Sisters had, for years, operated a small craft shop tucked away down a monastery hall, where items handmade by the Sisters delighted visitors. But the Sisters wanted to do much more — in a larger area offer a greater selection from many sources — unique, high quality, inspirational items that would not only remind people of their monastery visit but would enrich their lives.
The Sisters were blessed with help. A group of owners and managers of area gift shops offered experienced, knowledgeable advice. A supporter who worked for a major retailer provided the store design and fixtures.
"We were hoping for a Norman Rockwell and we got a Rembrandt," says Sister Rosa Lee Koch, the gift shop's first manager.
What You’ll Find at Our Monastery Gift Shop
All the products listed at our online store, plus:
- Monastery Baked Goods, including our top-selling Springerle Cookies
- Items handcrafted by the Sisters of St. Benedict of Ferdinand, including rosaries, pottery, sculpture, paintings, photographs, greeting cards, needlework, and quilts
- Items made by local artisans in Guatemala and Peru
- Religious articles, including medals, crosses, and angels
- An extensive selection of Christmas items, all year round
- Inspirational books and cards
- Decorative items for the home
What Else You Should Know About the Gift Shop
- Store hours are Monday thru Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Sunday: Closed
- Located on the north side of Monastery Event Hall on the grounds of Monastery Immaculate Conception in Ferdinand, Indiana. (840 E. 10th Street)
- The gift shop is handicapped-accessible.
If you’d like more information, you can e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 812-367-2500
Gift shop winter hours: Monday thru Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Sunday: Closed
Ferdinand is on Eastern Time.